WHO ARE WE?
The Caribbean Association of Investment Promotion Agencies (CAIPA) was launched on 20th day of November, 2007 in Kingston, Jamaica with funding support from the European Union under a PROINVEST Programme. The Association was established as an umbrella Association of CARIFORUM Investment Promotion Agencies (IPAs), with the objective of enabling collaboration among Caribbean IPAs.
To date, CAIPA’s membership comprises 23 IPAs within the region including representation from the Dutch and British Overseas Countries and Territories. The member countries include: Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Aruba, the Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, the British Virgin Islands, the Cayman Islands, Curacao, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Grenada, Guyana, Haiti, Jamaica, St. Kitts and Nevis, Montserrat, Saint Lucia, Sint Maarten, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Suriname, Trinidad and Tobago, and the Turks and Caicos Islands.
The Caribbean: THE Premier Investment Destination
To drive sustainable development in the Caribbean through collaboration in investment promotion
WHAT WE DO
CAIPA supports its members in the execution of their investment promotion mandates. The Association also seeks to promote the Caribbean as the place for investment in strategic priority sectors, namely, outsourcing, high-tech agriculture, renewable energy and hotel and resort development. In detail, CAIPA aims to:
- Improve the capacity of member IPAs to attract, retain and expand investment through capacity building initiatives that include training sessions and workshops, study tours and exchange missions;
- Establish the Caribbean Region as a strong brand for sustainable investment that addresses economic, human and environmental concerns;
- Increase access to reliable and timely information on the Caribbean as an investment location, strengthening information gathering and information monitoring systems, as well as actively promoting information exchange amongst its member IPAs;
- Advocate for an improved business environment in the Caribbean and for increased collaboration among the IPAs in the region;
- To facilitate and assist Caribbean investment promotion agencies, and other national investment promotion entities, to gain access to technical assistance and funding through advice, technical support and referrals to relevant bilateral or multilateral agencies;
- To assist Caribbean IPAs in advising their respective governments in the formulation of appropriate investment promotion policies and strategies;
HOW WE DO IT
CAIPA has responsibility for implementing the following main activities:
- Technical assistance and capacity building for CAIPA members
- Branding of the region as an investment destination to attract foreign direct investments (FDI)
- Strategic Investment Promotion Missions to and from targeted markets
- Caribbean Business Policy/Investment Climate Dialogue and Reform
- Sector Research, Analysis and FDI data management
Funding for CAIPA´s activities is primarily provided by the European Union under the 11th European Development Fund Regional Private Sector Development Programme.
CAIPA has also received support from other donors, including but not limited to, the Inter-American Development Bank under the Regional Public Goods Programme, UNCTAD, the Commonwealth Secretariat and the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) or German Development Agency.
The Caribbean Export Development Agency acts as CAIPA’s Secretariat providing administrative support, financial oversight and management of funds procured, as well as support to the IPAs as business support organisations, including the provision of technical assistance and advisory services, among others.
Caribbean Export is the only regional trade and investment promotion agency in the African, Caribbean and Pacific (ACP) group. The Agency was established in 1996 by an Inter-Governmental Agreement as the trade promotion Agency of the 15 Member States of CARIFORUM. Caribbean Export has also established collaborative links with the French Caribbean Outermost Regions (FCORs), with the English and Dutch Overseas Countries and Territories (OCTs) and with Cuba.
In July 2005, the Agency assumed an investment promotion mandate after the 14th CARIFORUM Council of Ministers meeting.
The Agency has 2 offices within the Caribbean region. Its headquarters is located in Barbados at:
Caribbean Export Development Agency, 1st Floor, Baobab Tower, Warrens, St. Michael, BARBADOS, Telephone: 1-246-436-0578
A sub-regional office (the SRO), is located in the Dominican Republic. This is the office that houses the CAIPA Secretariat.
Caribbean Export Development Agency’s Sub-regional Office, Piso 7, Torre Diandy XIX, Avenida Pedro Henriques Urena, #150, La Esperilla, Santo Domingo, REPUBLICA DOMINICANA, Tel: 1-809-531-2259/ 1-809-531-2411
You can contact the Secretariat at:
The highest authority in CAIPA is the General Assembly. Each member of CAIPA is represented on the General Assembly. The General Assembly elects a Board of Directors of at least eight persons.
For the period 2019/2020, the Executive members of the CAIPA Board are:
President – CFI-Haiti
Represented by the Director General, Ms. Tessa Jacques
1st Vice President – Invest Dominica Authority
Represented by the Executive Director of the IDA, Ms. Rhoda Joseph
2nd Vice President – CINEX
Represented by the Executive Director of CINEX, Mr. Ramon Koffijberg
c/o Caribbean Export Development Agency,
Piso 7, Torre Diandy XIX, Avenida Pedro Henriquez Urena #150
Ensanche La Esperilla